Go the F*** To Sleep: Not So Funny


I'm sure by now you've all heard about the book "Go the F*** to Sleep." I can't count the number of times people posted this on my Facebook wall telling me how "hilarious" this was and how I "must" watch the video of it.

I never found it very funny. I found it offensive.

I know, I know. It's meant to be a joke. I get that. But, in addition to not liking the language it uses (I don't believe in having any book with F*** in its title in my home, whether it's intended for children or adults), I found the premise offensive.

As a single mom of children with special needs, both of whom have struggled with sleep issues for a long time, believe me, there have been many times I would have let these same words slip from my mouth. But I haven't. Because for a sizable number of real-life children (like mine), sleep problems require parents' understanding and compassion, not expletives. I know the book is intended to empathize with (and entertain) those parents who are just at the end of their ropes. Believe me, I've been there. Many a night I have been trying to get both of my kids to go to bed (or to stay in bed at 5 in the morning). And it would be easy for me to yell and curse (or to write a snarky book like this one). But I haven't. Because that's not what my kids need. They need my love and empathy (along with sleep training....something I know quite a bit about now).

So while I know many parents have guffawed reading this book, and shared it enthusiastically with their Facebook friends, some of us won't be laughing. Personally, I'll be grabbing a 15-minute power nap instead. ;-)

p.s. One more thing. I don't espouse cursing at your kids, no matter how infuriating their behavior (sleep-related or not) may be. This is something else I have a lot of experience with. Trust me. And I fear this book, even subtly, condones thinly veiled verbal abuse. I'm not the only one, apparently. Read this article on CNN.com. What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Go the F*** To Sleep: Not So Funny