Community brain trust - authoring a fashion book



Calling on the community for ideas & encouragement for Shann, the author of Wardrobe Review. She writes:

"So, I've been thinking for a few months about writing a book. A book about finding your signature style, editing your closet and building a wardrobe that works for you instead of against, critical shopping, and outfit building including info on pattern mixing, color, and flattering silhouettes. When something sets me off, like Gigi's post last week about dressing, I get fired up about it and can crank out 10 pages of notes and multiple chapter outlines. But then, the next day I start to question myself. To feel like, realistically, it is silly because who am I to write a book about style etc. I am not a stylist nor do I work in the fashion industry in any capacity, I'm not even a well known blogger. I don't always dress to the nines and my closet is a mess. Not because I don't know how to organize it but just because I don't feel like it lol. I'm not perfect nor do I feel comfortable calling myself an expert but I do think I have info to give that may be useful to some people.

A good example of what I would try to do with my book is my posts, pattern mixing post and determining your wardrobe top 10.

I wonder though, do I really have anything to offer that most women do not already know? Also, there are a million and 1 style books out there already. On the other hand, I think if I wrote a book it would be different. It would require a lot of research because I have no interest in throwing together some lame collection of magazine blurbs. I need to research outside of my own comfort zone. I need more info on dressing for body types other than my own and building professional wardrobes. I'd want to give what I would want, concrete, in real life usable advice, detail, detail, detail and lots of lovely pics.

Now of course the chances of ever being published is a whole 'nother can of worms that I try not to even think about. Trying to hunt down an agent, publisher, and then possible having to go out and hawk my book does not sound fun. Anyway, that's it. I guess I wonder how do you know when your self doubt is justified. How do you know when you have a skill or idea worth putting out there?"


Questions for the community, in order to help Shann:
  • Anyone have experience writing for public consumption?

  • Whether you are 'published' or not, what tips would you give to Shann as she considers this path?

  • If you have thought about writing and haven't done it in any capacity, what has stopped you? What do you think would help Shann or anyone else overcome The Voices? (...the whispers we hear inside our head telling us we're not enough)

  • As a consumer, does this book idea sound interesting to you? If so, what sort of info would you like to see that you haven't come across in other books w/fashion advice?

  • Any additional experience (personal or 2nd hand), thoughts and encouragement you can share with Shann will be great...!


Chime in...

♥


*************************************************
The community brain trust is the idea of utilizing the wisdom and experience of the SAHMs, social workers, cs reps, scientists, lawyers, medical professionals, educators, etc... that visit here. Let's kick off big changes in our lives.

Looking forward to receiving emails if you'd like support! Please use subject brain trust. My email is gigiofca at gmail.

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Community brain trust - authoring a fashion book