
From St Germain:
I'm in my early 40s and have a professional job. But I look young (prob early 30s, maybe at times late 20s, depending on what I'm wearing). I'm also petite. I struggle with my style b/c I really like youthful clothes and casual clothes...jeans, etc. But I want to dress my age and be taken seriously. Many anthro sweaters look fantastic on the 20-30 something women but look like the grandma applique deal on me. I've lost all sense of perspective. I don't want to end up 60 and wearing a gold lame skirt b/c it's "in" (for the 20 year olds). I never understood when middle aged people said they felt 28. Now I do. And that makes it hard to make appropriate decisions about style. When you feel like (and maybe look like) you are 28, how do you instinctively know what a 42 year old should wear!?
Well, first let's look at this photo of Gwenyth Paltrow. I believe she's near 40. When I saw this photo I immediately thought the look was too youthful for her. I saved the photo looong ago for this very topic. I know Gwenyth has been doing and is an investor in The Tracy Anderson Method. As a result of the practice, she looks really, really good. I also realize that as a movie star going to a an event, she can get away with things that don't work in the real world. All this said, I still felt that the look was a bit young. I think the short length is not too short, so it may be the bare legs that didn't work for me.
From The Look 4 Less by way of X
As a short answer, I'd say...dress for how you appear on the outside, but hover near the vicinity of your age. I'm in my 30s and get carded for Lotto tix when wearing my gym clothes, so I can relate to this topic. I could put on a very youthful outfit. I'm thinking a Gossip Girl look w/a plaid skirt/headband and such. If I didn't open my mouth, I would probably be mistaken for early 20s. The minute I start talking, I'm busted. Now, even though what I say or how I say it might reveal my age, I still have a youthful spirit. Therefore, I try to strike a balance between looking age appropriate, but keeping a youthful flair. The answer for me has been to mix retailers. Keeping Forever 21 in the mix is an easy to do that with their jewelry and trendy tops. I went thru a phase of trying to wear chinos because I thought they were age appropriate and a youthful enough alternative to jeans. Not on me. They mostly look awful. It took about 5 pairs, trying to roll them like the J Crew catalog pics and everything, before giving it up. I'm considering another revamp to my look. I find myself struggling between my bohemian tendencies and the prepster that takes precedence. One day I might wear a maxi dress w/coin necklace one day and the next day, a check shirt w/schoolboy blazer. The contrast of looks almost makes me feel like I'm changing costumes. Lately I've been thinking how to blend the two...like gypsy prep. I'll letcha know how it goes.
Many people are working out and still looking fantastic at all ages. However good one's gams look, I don't think it's an automatic pass to wear a cropped, skirt, mini skirt or short-shorts. Some of the skirt & dress lengths are entirely too short these days. If it looks like you forgot your pants, there's a problem. Unless you're Tina Turner. Then again, even she has put on pants these days.
What say you? Do you dress your age? Older? Younger?
If you look and/or feel a much different age than your birth certificate, how do you express that thru your style?
Chime in...
***********************************
Related posts
Let's Talk - Your Style Buzzwords

0 comments:
Post a comment on: Let's Talk - dressing your age