The Buzz about Mommy Blogs


(Above: "Baby S" at age 4 months on January 17, 2007, the day I started this blog. No, Fresh Direct did not pay me to include this. But I do love Fresh Direct!).


There's been a lot of talk (not all of it nice) recently about "mommy bloggers" and whether or not they are "selling out" by writing about freebies they receive- everything from laundry detergent to cars (yes, cars). Even The New York Times is talking about it. And though I don't consider MyMomShops a "mommy blog" as much as a shopping blog, I thought I should let my readers know where I stand on all of this.

I started this blog for fun during 3am feedings with my infant son in early 2007, because I (was told) was a wealth of information about where to shop online for the perfect gifts (a skill I had honed during two pregnancies on bedrest). And I still write the blog for fun, not profit (and, it also happened to become a good distraction from more serious stuff that happened in the past 2 years).

My blog gets very good traffic (not as high as the gals in the The New York Times article, but up there), and though I've never been offered luxury goods like cars, that the blog has attracted the attention of lots of stores and PR people. So, yes, I am occasionally sent products to review, though they are most often some clothing or toys or stationery- i.e. nothing lavish. And I only say "yes" to sample items which are products that 1) I might use in my daily life as a single mom to a 3-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl (toys yes, breast pumps no) and/or 2) are gift-worthy (stationery yes, bathroom sprays no). Also, I accept a small amount of advertising (which I clearly label as "MyMomShops Sponsors") and affiliates (where I earn a small commission on purchases through links). But, I never accept advertising for a product I wouldn't use myself or recommend to someone else. In fact, I turn down a majority of advertising or product review requests, because it takes up my time, your time, and steers this blog in a different direction from what I intended. There are "mommy blogs" out there that are specifically designed to review a slew of products (and sometimes those moms are compensated for any or all reviews). Mine doesn't fall into that category, but I don't have a problem with those that do. There's room for all of us.

As I mentioned in an article about this blog in Time Out NY Kids last year, most items (I'd say at least 75%) that I write about here are things that I stumble onto myself (sometimes at 3am, just like I did in the early days). Because that is what is most fun for me to write about, and hopefully what is most fun for you to read. So it will remain that way. I hope you like it that way, too.

p.s. By all means, please keep your product tips coming, whether you are a shop owner, a PR person, or just a mom who has some great ideas. I am happy to hear from everyone- but please understand if I don't get a chance to respond- I get so many e-mails and I do my best to keep up. If I am interested in the product (or a sample that you offer) you'll hear from me- and if I'm not, I just might recommend other bloggers who are.

p.p.s. Many bloggers have written much more eloquently on this topic than I have. One I'd like to commend is Liz Gumbinner from Mom-101. Liz, thanks for encouraging me and other bloggers to clarify our our positions.

0 comments:

Post a comment on: The Buzz about Mommy Blogs